Walking & Cycling

Quarry Walk

Dailly town centre, KA26 9SB

Phone number:


Start: Dailly town centre, KA26 9SB
End: Daily town centre, KA26 9SB
Distance: 2.5 miles (4.25km)

Download map, route of path also available from: http://www.ayrshirepaths.org.uk/walkdailly.htm  (Created by Ayrshire Paths) (Orange path on map)

Quarry Walk at Dailly 4.25km. Path Marker Symbol: Tramway and hutch full of coal. A short circular walk for those with limited time to sample the area. However when undoubtedly tempted back this walk can be linked with the Kilgrammie Walk to make a longer excursion. From the village a short walk past the golf course takes you to a woodland path through a tranquil conifer plantation with good open views from the western corner. Nearby is a ruined engine room, the only building to survive from Kilgrammie Colliery which closed in 1907. The old railway sidings for coal wagons can be found nearby.

Dailly grew as a coal mining village over three centuries ago, however its history and people date back many more centuries. The village is well worth exploring with the most interesting part around the church (1766) where a small square is overlooked by a white granite war memorial. An interesting fact is that Ailsa Craig  is in Dailly Parish. This is because the island was owned by the Barony of Knockgerron, with Knockgerron being in Dailly Parish which extended to the sea in what today is now the Parish of Girvan.